Saturday 4 June 2011

Day 18 - SALZBURG

We had another great day on the On-Off bus, 1st stop which the driver gave us 3mins to take photos is Schloss Leopold(sounds like you had a good drink doesn't it, but don't worry it was too early in the morning for me!) which in the back-ground is the house in the Sound of Music (look closely you know I'm right).




Then we stopped at Schloss Hellbrunn which had some great water fountains and a few good surprises (I got a tad wet there) as you can see, but alot of fun!


There in the gardens of Hellburn is the Sound of Music Pavilion, which I call a gazebo (hear you singing "You are sixteen going on seventeen" I wish then the hips wouldn't be so sore in the mornings!!!!!!)

The next stop was the Stift Nonnberg which Maria in the Sound of Music (I can hear you singing 'How do I solve a problem like Maria.........or Sharon!!!!!) came from this Nunnery! Just up from that is the Hohensalzburg which by the way is huge. Oh yah we took a wrong turn and had to climb a hill (surprise! surprise! for us! I didn't have a map just incase you were thinking I did!) We didn't go up on the funicular as running out of money (not hills) so we looked up and admired the view! Then headed into town, by the way is just down the hill from Hohen Salzburg.
We stopped and had a frankfurter with mustard (don't even try to picture it, not like home) for lunch, big dinner plate with bolognaise sauce then 2 frankfurters and a bun, so you have to eat with knife and fork. The bread came in handy to wipe up the sauce YUM YUM! After that we headed further into town and saw Mozarts famiy home. (I so should have made my kids play a musical instrument and I wouldn't have to carry my own bags round Europe or maybe I could start to learn, never to late do you reckon?).
Well after that, Kim wanted to go to the Mirabell Gardens and see the steps that the children from the Sound of Music danced and sang on (I can hear you singing again "Do Re Me just like them, You are getting the theme going on here today?). We will make both our mothers very happy with some photos of the rose gardens. Kim keep saying that there are some gnomes around here somewhere, but know our track-record with finding things - well as you can imageine we had trouble finding those pesky little gnomes (I'm sure they were hiding from me laughing). Well I heard a strangled cry next to me, looking round there is Kim's face all lit up like a christmas tree, she had spotted those pesky gnomes (A sigh from me! thank God!). Well as you can see Kim was happy (or was it grumpy with her!) and all was well with the world!

Well after our musical little day we headed back to our hotel and sat out-side by the garden and had a wine or 2 before tea which was great!

See you tomorrow fellow (Sound of Music) followers!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment